Are you ready to put together your winning team? Here’s a quick checklist of everything you’ll need to get signed up:
- $600.00 deposit to hold your spot (before November 15) or the full registration fee. (Here’s more information about how much it costs.) Yes, you can pay with a credit card, but we do not have a way for each individual team member to pay their portion of the fee. We recommend setting up a spreadsheet to track team members and payments. Some teams will even create a separate bank account just to manage relay team expenses.
- A team captain. This person will be our primary contact for race communications. This is the person who should do the initial registration for your team. If you need to change your team captain, please email syd @ smokymountainrelay.com for assistance.
- A team name. Please, keep it relatively clean as there will be families in attendance along the course and at the finish line. You may change your team name until May 1st; team names are set at that point.
- Your initial decision to provide two volunteers from your friends and family or to hire local non-profit volunteers to fill your required spots. Rent-A-Volunteers are $120 each when they are paid for by March 15 – after March 15, the cost goes up to $150; your payment will be donated to their charity. Please note: you DO NOT pay for Rent-A-Volunteer when you sign up. Payment is made by check and mailed to us. Full instructions are here.
- Once you have secured your spot, you will need to recruit five to eleven friends to run with you. If you are stuck, you do have the option to view the list of available runners in regtorace. You may also post to our Facebook page. Your team members will need to register by May 1st in order to guarantee their shirt size. We will accept registrations after this date, and we will do our best to accommodate shirt size requests. Prompt registration of your team members will also help us assign the most accurate start times.
- Your final decision to rent a volunteer must be made by May 1st in order to give us enough time to recruit the proper number of volunteers from the local non-profits we are working with.
- If you elect to secure your spot with a down payment, final payment will be due February 1st. Your prompt attention to final payment is much appreciated. We do reserve the right to release your team spot to the waitlist if your final payment is not received in a timely fashion.
- As the team captain, you may edit your runners’ paces. Please review their paces as your start time will be based on these estimates, and folks will sometimes enter a 10k total time instead of a 10k pace, throwing our calculations way off. The more accurate your paces are, the better the start time will be for your race experience.